Wednesday, December 7, 2016

BlogPost7: Planning for Greatness

Freire, Ohanian, DiGiulio, and Ayers all share their wisdom about the craft and art of teaching. In Freire's discussion of the concept of banking education, the solution is that "the teacher is no longer merely the one-who-teaches, but one who is himself taught in dialogue with the students, who in turn while being taught also teach." Ohanian considers why we must be adaptable as teachers, and learn to grow with our students. She states, "What counts is attitude and endeavor. That's why, even when we try, we often can't pass on a terrific lesson plan to a friend; we probably can't even save it for ourselves to use again next year." My favorite point that DiGiulio makes is when he explains that "great teaching has been great because it placed the learner's needs and interests first;" Ayers only enforces this concept when he says that "greatness in teaching engages students, interacts with them, draws energy and direction from them, and offers reasons to plunge into classroom life."

When planning lessons for future students, I hope to draw from the ideas of these educators. I want to be able to adapt my teaching style and lessons to allow all of my students to succeed and benefit from what they are learning. I want to put the students and their needs first, allowing them to reach their full potentials. I hope to give students the opportunity to be engaged in their learning experience. By interacting with my students, I wish to learn from them and become a better teacher, which will in turn allow them to learn and grow in knowledge. I aspire to continually feed off of the energy present in the classroom and use it to encourage the students to participate and gain a desire to learn more. Lastly, I hope to make a positive difference in the lives of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment